The Matti Koivurinta Foundation Art Collection is a varied assemblage of works from the recent history of Finnish and other Western art. The collection's oldest works date from the end of the 19th century, but the emphasis is on works originating from after the 1950s to the present day. The compilation is based on a private collector's, commercial councellor Matti Koivurinta's, art collection.
Nowadays, the collection is being regularly increased with new works of art, with the aim of complementing and diversifying it as a museum collection, in accordance with the collection policy of Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova. The collection now contains almost 650 works.
The Matti Koivurinta Foundation Collection contains works from many masters of modernism and contemporary art, whose names are etched in art history. International stars of the 20th century include Pablo Picasso (1881-1973), Max Ernst (1891-1976), Auguste Herbin (1882-1960), André Masson (1896-1987), Andy Warhol (1928-1987) and David Hockney (b. 1937). Finnish art from the beginning of the 20th century to this day also forms a significant part. Works are from such Finnish artists as Otto Mäkilä (1904-1955), Lars-Gunnar Nordström (1924-2014), Matti Kujasalo (b. 1946), Veikko Hirvimäki (b. 1941) and Jan-Erik Andersson (b. 1954).
The museum's own art collection is an essential part of the work of Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova. Displaying the diversity of the art collection is regarded as important as well as changing the exhbition of the collection twice a year, every spring and every autumn. The aim is to offer the viewer a comprehensive image of the Matti Koivurinta Foundation Art Collection and to convey the characteristics of the collection.
The facade of Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova also displays two art works from the Matti Koivurinta Foundation Art Collection; Elephant Square by Hanna Vihriälä (b. 1974) which invites the visitor in to the museum for either entertainment or a calming rest. The wall surrounding the museum is decorated by Jan-Erik Andersson's (b. 1954) Fredrika Runeberg and a Dot which reminds any passers-by of the area's history and former inhabitants. Some of the works belonging to the collection are located at various administrative buildnings of Turku; e.g. granite sculptures by Harry Kivijärvi (1931-2010) can be found both on Turku School of Economics' courtyard as well as at Gatorade Center.